Unlike many other public works or industrial facilities, solid waste management (SWM) work environments are highly complex in site purpose and operation. Each site is unique and often provides several site functions – for example (open face cell, construction and demolition, recycling, materials recovery, transfer station, etc.) that operate simultaneously. In addition, SWM facilities often have visitors entering the worksite during SWM site hours. It is not uncommon for site activity to include contractor worksites combined with areas for general public to enter the facility. The close proximity of people, equipment, and physical environmental factors makes it challenging to maintain a high level of safety on the site.
The primary goals of the Safety for Solid Waste Management Facilities program are to:
- Provide an overview of the importance of safe and responsible solid waste management practices.
- Introduce hazard identification and analysis.
- Increase participants’ knowledge of how safety is part of the Solid Waste Management operations plan.
- Provide participants with opportunities for simulated practice of identifying, communicating, and implementing safe work practices on their site.
- Provide an opportunity for Alberta CARE membership to develop presentation skills, share subject matter expertise, and leadership skills with the SWM industry.
Instructor: Tom Kinderwater
Tom is known in the industry for his extensive knowledge of solid waste system operations, development and implementation of safety, health, and environmental management programs, and expertise in development of safe operating procedures. Tom's experience with all classes of landfills and waste management facilities and ability to connect theory to practice make him the ideal instructor for this course.
Edmonton Waste Management Centre, Administration Building
250 Aurum Rd NE | Edmonton, AB
Location Map: https://www.google.ca/maps/search/Edmonton+Waste+Management+Centre++250+Aurum+Rd+NE+Edmonton,+ABfirstname.lastname@example.org,-113.3224166,13z